.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Friday, October 20, 2006
Neighbor's dog
I set my friend an email this morning and told him this little story about last night. Seeing as I’ve been a bit scarce lately, I thought I’d shared it with my blogging friends as well.

The neighbor's dog woke me up the other morning around 1:30 with its continual yapping and it kept me awake for two hours or so. It yaps all day as well.

The neighbors either don't know what to do to stop it or they just don't care.

Anyway, as my daughter was getting ready for bed last night, that dog was yap, yap, yapping. It's some kind of terrier. (The little terror)

Well, I'd about had enough and wanted a good night's sleep so, I opened the kitchen window and yelled "Q-U-I-E-T..!" Emphasis on the “T”.

Instant silence!

I quickly and quietly shut the window and went down to my daughter’s room to get her into bed. She had a big, knowing grin on her face so we both had a little chuckle.

Anyway, for a good 15 minutes that dog was too stunned to bark. He must've wondered what on earth had happened. My daughter was still grinning after we said our prayers and then kissed good night.

I went out of her room and started getting ready for bed. The dog gave a few questioning yaps testing to see if I really meant what I had said.

If I had of ignored it, the dog would have seen it as license to continue. Well, I knew my girl hadn't had time to fall asleep, so I opened the window and yelled...

"Q-U-I-E-T..!"

Instant silence!

I reckon all the neighbors got a good night's sleep last night, just like we did and just like that dog did too.

Fair enough if a dog barks for a reason, but not just for boredom. And, it doesn't pay to talk back to this kiwi who likes to go to bed early and rise at 4:00am.
 
posted by Rulan at 7:41 AM | Permalink |


17 Comments:


  • At 5:37 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

    Sorry to hear the dog made things rough on you... or should I say ruff, ruff, ruff.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    lol. Hi David. Great to see you. Ha ha ha very funny. Bet you had a good old chuckle about it.

    Yeah, he ruffled my feathers. lol :)

    Have a great weekend and God bless you.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Lori

    I have to sleep with a loud fan in my room or I hear dogs barking all night.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Lori, hi there. Nice to see you. Sorry to hear about all the dogs barking. That would drive me up the wall.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Ame

    LOL!!! you go MOM!!!!!

     
  • At 6:43 PM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

    LOL...go, girl...you're no shrinking violet!

     
  • At 8:01 AM, October 21, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    ame hi there. You bet ya. I guard my sleep well. lol

     
  • At 8:02 AM, October 21, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Bonnie, hi there. lol. Guess that's true. Muahahahaha :)

     
  • At 5:35 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Amy

    hey there, just blog hopping when I found your blog, I'm in New Zealand too up in Northland, nice to see another kiwi online.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    amy, Hi there. It's good to see another kiwi.

     
  • At 6:04 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Keith Wallis

    Our neighbours dog barks whenever the neighbour isn't home. She now has a collar that squirts everytime she barks - this shuts the dog up. Funnily enough it only works if she's actually wearing it - she wasn't wearing it Suturday night and the neighbour didn't come home 'til 3.15am !!!!

     
  • At 6:47 AM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    That's so funny, 'cause the exact same thing happened with me. We had new neighbors move in with a loud yappy dog in the backyard. I lost many nights' worth of sleep, until one night I was so mad, I raised the bedroom window and yelled, "SHUT UP!":-) I think I scared the little mutt....lol...he stopped all the yapping, just like what happened with you.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Keith, hi there. lol. Sounds like your neighbour could do with a collar of their own so you could remind them to put the collar on their day. :) Hope they don't forget too often.

     
  • At 7:12 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Vicki, hi there. lol. I think dogs are a bit like kids at times. If they can get away with something, they will.

    A yapping dog does tend to make us a bit "hot under the collar" lol

     
  • At 5:40 PM, October 24, 2006, Blogger David Edward

    we finally bought a shock collar for my mom's beagle, IT WORKED! 29 or 39 dollars US - if it can work on a beagle it can work on anything, NOW how to get your neighbor to buy and try one????

     
  • At 6:27 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Hi David, nice to have you visit. lol A collar like that would be cool, but I think I'd have a fight on my hands if I tried to collar the neighbor with it. :)

     
  • At 12:19 PM, May 04, 2008, Blogger Della

    Do you see comments if they're left this late? lol
    This one reminds me of something I'd do... IF I got mad enough! LOL There's a hound next-door who's just adorable and I'd love to make friends with him, But! I have done everything I could do scare him off, because it's for his own good. He's so sweet and he'd really love to be friends, so I feel bad even as I snarl (literally) at him... lol He's a good boy.. he slinks off home every time.