.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Monday, July 10, 2006
Obedience
This was my dog Tessa.
Her mum was a German shepherd;
her dad was most likely a Labrador retriever.

She was my baby before I had any children
and she has long since gone. What a dog
she was. She learned so fast and was so keen
to please. Every time I picked up the lead,
she’d rush to my side, waiting for her
mistress’s commands. She would bark and
growl on command or be silent.

Tessa had a heart. She would face down
anything I set her to. Whether it was a bull or
crazed cow with a calf, Tessa would be
there if I needed her. She would have given
her life to protect me, yet when my children
came along, she was gentle as a lamb.

If I was down the farm and Tessa was a long
way from me, as long as she could see me,
I could raise my arm in the air and then bring
it down with my hand out flat and she
would drop to the ground. She would stay there,
on that spot, until I gave another signal.

I could say, “Over” and Tessa would go in
whatever direction I pointed. She wasn’t
trained to work stock, but I had taught
her many verbal and nonverbal commands
that proved invaluable on the farm.

One day, we were walking around the farm
with our boss and I put Tessa in a down stay.
We kept walking and talking while watching
the hay being bailed. Then the tractor entered
the paddock where Tessa was.

As the bailer worked around the paddock,
it got closer and closer to her. Finally, the bailer
was heading straight for Tessa.

I thought Tessa would move, but she didn’t.
I yelled, but she couldn’t hear me above the
noise of the machinery.

Tessa looked at me, looked at the bailer then
looked back at me. She wasn’t going to budge
unless I gave her the command. The tractor
driver had to stand on the brakes and wait.

I raised my arm then slapped my leg and
Tessa flew to me like a bullet from a gun.

I can't help but wonder what God could do with
that kind of trust and obedience.
 
posted by Rulan at 4:19 PM | Permalink |


14 Comments:


  • At 5:01 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

    Dogs are the noblest creature in all God’s creation. We have so much we can learn from them.

    Tessa has quite a yap on her. It must be a girl thing.

    Just kidding. : )

     
  • At 5:09 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    David, we sure could learn a lot from them, alright.

    A big yap is a girl thing?! lol gasp, sock, horror. You rotter. he he

     
  • At 7:31 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Ame

    Wow ... can you imagine?

    Thanks, Rulan ... I know I will ponder this story over and over for a long time.

     
  • At 5:36 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    ame, hi there. This world would be so different, wouldn't it?

    Have a great week and God bless.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

    Dog's are man's best friend...and in this case woman's too!

    Great story. I've had some amazing dogs over the years too...too sad that their lives are so short compared to ours!

     
  • At 5:31 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Bonnie, hi there. So true. And yes, dogs don't life long enough.
    You have a great week and God bless.

     
  • At 2:17 AM, July 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    I have three children...my husband....my daughter...and my son (our part miniature greyhound/aussie shepherd)...he is laying on the rug behind me as I write this. The other two are presently arguing over the tv remote :)

    I loved the photos of Tessa...and your remembrance of her was compelling...thank you for sharing.

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello..I promise to prepare banana cake for your next visit.

     
  • At 6:56 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Sissy b. Hi there. At least dogs don't argue over the remote. Or at least I don't think they do?

    I look forward to the banana cake.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass

    And another gut punch. I was just at Curm's place and to read this after I read his post, God just gave me a double-whammy for the day.

    I have to say I was looking for a character name, and if I might be so bold as to ask, may I use Tessa?
    I'll remember this post every time I use the name in the story.

     
  • At 6:45 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Miss Audrey

    Rulan,

    This was a beautiful post and analogy. I'm glad I stopped by. (I always am...)

     
  • At 8:32 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Cowboy, hi there. We are all guilty. I know I am. Yet He loves us all, just the same.

    God bless you

     
  • At 8:34 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Jon Cox, hi there and thank you.

    May the Lord bless you and keep you.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Michelle, hi there. God seems to know how to do that.

    Please, go ahead and use the name. That would be cool.

    Hey, that snipit of story on your blog makes me want to read more.

    Blessings.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Miss Audrey, hi there. Nice to have you visit.

    God bless.