.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Saturday, July 15, 2006
No greater love
“Friend, this I do for you.” The stranger reached out and touched my hand.

“But sir,” I protested. “I don’t even know you. How can you think of taking my place?”

The stranger smiled the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. “Trust me,” He said. “All will be well.”

Suddenly the guards were there. They seized the stranger and pulled Him away.

“No...!” I cried as His hand slipped from my grasp.

In horror, I watched as they beat Him to the ground. He didn’t even struggle or try to protect Himself.

They bound His wrists then kicked Him and spat on Him..

“Stop it!” I yelled. “Stop it! Can’t you see He is innocent? I am the guilty one.”

I shook the bars of my prison door, but the guards ignored me.

“Please,” I begged. “Tell them you’re innocent. Tell them I’m the one they’re after, not you.”

The stranger looked up with eyes full of love and compassion and my heart broke in two.

What could I do? What could I say?

I could think of nothing as the guards pulled Him to His feet and dragged Him away.

In a daze, I staggered away from the prison door. Tears flooded my eyes and I fell to my knees.

I was the cause of the stranger’s suffering. I buried my face in my hands, but could not escape the look of compassion I had seen in His eyes.

Darkness closed in and nothing broke through the gloom.

Then I heard a sound and looked up as the prison door swung open. Brilliant sunlight flooded in and shadows rushed away.

There stood the Son of God; the One Who had taken my place.

In fear, I fell at His feet.

He reached down and lifted me up. “Do not be afraid, I have come not to judge, but to save. I have come to give you life.”

“But it was because of what I have done, that you died. It should have been me.”

“Yes,” said the Lord. “But I chose to do it. I gave my life, so that you could be free.” He smiled down at me. “No one took my life. I gave it as a gift.”

© 2006 Rulan Capper-Starr
- Rulan's Heart For God

 
posted by Rulan at 6:05 PM | Permalink |


23 Comments:


  • At 6:54 PM, July 15, 2006, Blogger David Meigs

    This was a beautiful illustration.

    I only wish that more would walk in the freedom our Lord laid down His life to give us.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, July 15, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    David, hi there, my friend. Thank you.

    This came from a vision I saw a few years back when I asked the Lord to show me to a greater level, what He had done.

    I know what you mean. So many don't see the truth. It's so sad.

    Lord, open their eyes, I pray.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, July 15, 2006, Blogger M. C. Pearson

    Thanks Rulan, I needed to hear that.

    I'm here...barely. Been working on my manuscript for the Philly Conference. Also have had some trials with my parents so I have not been very conversational lately. Please pray...I said a tiny bit about it on my Seek and Ye Shall Find blog. In short, my parents have decided to sell the house that they just bought for us all to live in. My family has to pack all over again. Not fun. Not fun at all.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, July 15, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Oh mimi, that is terrible. I am so sorry to hear that. I pray the Lord will find you something better.

    May the Lord bless you and keep you.

     
  • At 5:06 AM, July 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    How awesome that you are able to write in such a way that many can read..simple, yet powerful!! Many Christians ask - but how does this relate to my reality??? I think you just answered them with this beautiful illustration.

    P.S. I love the new horse profile :)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Ame

    This is awesome, Rulan :)

    I have asked God to show me truths, too, and He is always faithful.

    Thank you for sharing this one with us :)

     
  • At 9:18 AM, July 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    Thank you Rulan....He is faithful.

    Blessings
    Donna

     
  • At 9:36 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Ame

    I just read your prayer for Winter ... you have an incredible faith ... I am learning from you ... thank you :)

     
  • At 3:10 PM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Ame

    Rulan - my very dear friend, KP, just left you a comment about your prayer for children on Winter's blog. Actually, what I did was copy your prayer and adapt it to praying for children. KP and I met at Starbucks for a few hours this morning and one of the things we talked about was how we pray for our children. KP is an AMAZING woman of God!!! I emailed her the adapted prayer and the link where you wrote the original prayer. I hope I have not imposed on you or dishonored you by adapting the prayer for children. Here is how I adapted it:

    Oh Lord,
    please keep our children safe.
    Send Your Spirit like a dove,
    to protect and keep them.
    Father,
    I pray,
    send your angel's with our children
    and ahead of them,
    to clear a path before them.

    Father,
    please blind the eyes of the enemy
    so they cannot see where our children are.
    Please deafen the ears of the enemy
    so they cannot hear what is being said.
    And Father,
    please gag the mouths of the enemy,
    so they can't speak lies.
    And please bind the enemy,
    so they cannot harm our children,
    their companions
    or us.

    Please Lord,
    surround us with Your love
    and peace
    and protection,
    in Jesus mighty Name.

    All praise,
    honor
    and glory
    to Him
    Who sits on the throne
    and unto the Lamb,
    forever and ever.
    Amen

    I hope this is okay with you ... KP beat me to the punch by commenting to you first!!!

     
  • At 4:00 PM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun

    That was beautiful. you should submit that one!

     
  • At 9:58 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Karen, hi there. Long time no see. How's it going? Thank you for your encouragement.
    He did answer me, didn't He. He's such a good God. :)

     
  • At 10:05 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Sissy B, hi there. It started out at 561 words, but I got it down to 372 so it wouldn't be too long for my blogging friends to read. :)

    Thank you for your encouraging words.
    he he I like my profile pic also. :)

     
  • At 10:10 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Ame, hi there. wow, you humble me. What can I say?
    Thank you and yes, please use the prayer. May the Lord free many through it.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Donna, hi there. How's it going? We sure do have a faithful God.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Bonnie, hi there. wow, you think so? cool. Perhaps I'll give that a go. Thank you. :)

     
  • At 3:49 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Godwyn Lim

    Sister Rulan,

    Awesome work, beautifully written. I felt so bless just by reading it...

    Have a good week ahead! Godspeed...

     
  • At 11:32 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger jel

    Way Cool Friend!

    and I like the horse :)

     
  • At 6:26 AM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Godwyn, hi there. Thank you. I am glad it touched you.

    May you have a great week also.

     
  • At 6:28 AM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Janice, hi there. Long time no see.
    It's great to see you back.

    Glad you like my horse and post.

    Have a great week.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, July 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    Beautifully written.

    Keep on! :)

     
  • At 10:05 AM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Prayer Warrior, hi there. Nice to see you. Thank you for your encouragement.

     
  • At 2:21 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Steve

    Beautiful, just beautiful. What a wonderful gift God has given to you. Always a joy to visit your site.

    Pity it takes so long to load ... I think the hit counter is dragging it's feet.

    Blessings to you Rulan,
    Steve

     
  • At 5:35 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Rulan

    Steve, hi there. Long time no see. Thank you for your encouragement.

    Does it really take a long time to load? Sorry about that. I'll have a look and see if I can do something about it. Thanks for telling me.

    God bless